Het is nu 18 apr 2019, 22:22

Alle tijden zijn GMT + 1 uur [ Zomertijd ]

Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ Totaal aantal berichten 75475
Auteur Bericht
 Berichttitel: Speedometer ?
BerichtGeplaatst: 28 nov 2016, 00:36 
Bromfiets liefhebber

Good evening everyone,Question on the speedometer,my berini does not have one fitted into the headlight assembly,in its place is a piece of plastic,fitted via the inside,obviously it doesn't have a cable,or fitment for the front wheel.My question,is this normal for a moped imported into the uk,or is it missing.Also if it requires a speedometer and other parts are these obtainable,and how does the cable attach to the front wheel,there is nothing about the speedometer in my kosters manual,any information will be greatly appreciated.Ducini thanks for your help in past matters,I have nicknamed you the dutch oracle.Glenn.

Share on Facebook
 Offline Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
 Berichttitel: Re: Speedometer ?
BerichtGeplaatst: 28 nov 2016, 17:47 
Bromfiets kenner

Hello Glenn, clicked away my reply by accident just before posting it :( Will retry...

I should probably feel flattered by your designation. :?: It looks like I have become the (self-appointed) OudeBrommers' contact for the Anglo-Saxon M21 fanciers. No problem, being a Berini fan knows no borders.

In the 1950's, even in the domestic market speedometers were not standard equipment until the 40 kph speed limit was introduced in 1958 when it became more important to know how fast you were going. This limit was not just a directive for riders not to exceed this speed, it was enforced by construction changes. Hence the Berini "Speed-O-Matic". When pricing mopeds it was specifically mentioned whether it was "incl. km teller" or "excl. km teller". The incl / excl part will be obvious, km teller literally means kilometercounter = odometer. Nevertheless, a full speedo/odometer was usually supplied.
The early M21's (non-cowled headlights) were commonly (retro)fitted with a Lucia unit, black dial/white lettering, range 50, 60 or 70 kph. Later, off-white dials with black numbers were considered more modern. German VDO units stuck to their traditional brownish colours. Later, when the cowled headlights were introduced for the more "up-market" (i.e. 2- and 3-gear) Berini's, fancy shapes (oval, rectangular) for the speedos became fashionable.
Beware to select the proper dial, CW or CCW. This is dictated by the side of the wheel where the drive is mounted (opposite the brake drum).

Regarding the speedo drive unit, two distictive solutions were offered. Initially, Lucia utilised a rubber cog wheel, driven by a circular "rack" concentric to the wheel axle (first picture). Cog wheels with different numbers of teeth could be used with the same "rack" to match the wheel diameter for proper speed indication. This version became obsolete and was superceded by the type still familiar today. Much more compact and not prone to misalignment, but needs (though hardly gets) occasional lubrication.

Tried to insert some pictures within the text, but that became a mess. Will combine them below. Could forward them in better resolution by PB (forum personal message).
Don't forget to watch the 93 minute (!) video of this year's Berini Club outing, it contains nice close-ups of many participating Berini's !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j7lEn8wkFo&feature=youtu.be

Regards,

Ducini

Bijlagen:
Teller compleet AA.jpg
Teller compleet AA.jpg [ 20.97 KiB | 2116 keer bekeken ]
Lucia wit links.jpg
Lucia wit links.jpg [ 15.26 KiB | 2116 keer bekeken ]
VDO0873 K.jpg
VDO0873 K.jpg [ 114.06 KiB | 2116 keer bekeken ]
Telleraandrijving.jpg
Telleraandrijving.jpg [ 2.54 KiB | 2116 keer bekeken ]
Share on Facebook
 Offline Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
BerichtGeplaatst: 30 nov 2016, 18:18 
Bromfiets liefhebber

Ducini, good to hear from you again,watched the video on YouTube that was recommended,looks like someone there is a magician,instead of pulling white rabbits out of a hat they kept wheeling out Berini's,joking apart a great video,looks like everyone having fun which is the most important thing,very envious of your country's flat roads,but especially the cycle only roads with the absence of cars,although where I live is quite rural,it is still a battle against the traffic.I presume that was filmed in Rotterdam,and wondered if you where on the ride out.Thanks again for the good information on speedometer's,my one looks Exactly like the first one showing,with the speedometer set into the headlight,with some of the literature I got with the moped,was some round bits of cardboard,silver on one side with instructions on other which when I translated on Google indicated on how to fit the speedometer,so I think there may of been one originally,now with your help I will investigate further.all the best.Glenn.

Share on Facebook
 Offline Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
BerichtGeplaatst: 01 feb 2017, 18:56 
Bromfiets liefhebber

Update on speedometer,went down the Vdo route,used good old e-bay to obtain all the parts,started by getting speedometer from USA as they are mph like the uk,speedometer goes up to 40'mph.when arrived slightly smaller than speedo aperture,so removed top face plate and made a metal washer so speedo sits in aperture correctly then refitted face plate via pot rivets,looks good,then got grey 680mm long grey speedo cable withe 10 MM. connection threaded nuts from Germany,and then took a chance by looking at it,a speedometer drive housing puch maxi,again from German,with some minor adjustment it fitted and works a treat,now I know that my top speed is the giddy heights of 28 mph,thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.

Share on Facebook
 Offline Profiel  
Antwoord met een citaat  
Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ Totaal aantal berichten 75475

Alle tijden zijn GMT + 1 uur [ Zomertijd ]